My Adventure on the Path of the Gods

Path of the Gods Photo by Margie MiklasWalking the Path of the Gods has been in the back of my mind ever since I heard about the experience a few years ago. Since I am not a hiker, I initially dismissed the idea as being out of reach. But the more I read about it and saw photos of the incredible views from 2000 feet above sea level on the Amalfi Coast, I reconsidered and decided to go for it while I was in Positano to write. It would be only one of two excursions I did while spending two weeks relaxing and writing. So this past October, the idea became a reality and I am thrilled that I decided to undertake this challenge.

img_7325The so-called “path” in reality is a mountain path that consists of little more than dirt covered with numerous gnarled tree roots, and in quite a few areas, engages in rock-climbing.

Path of the Gods Photo by Margie MiklasI must caution though, that this hike is definitely not for the faint of heart or for those that aren’t somewhat fit.

I wondered why I saw a banner along the way, which said #Climbwithgods and the more I advanced on the trail I certainly understood.

Photo by Margie MiklasI started out alone in some light rain which let up after about fifteen minutes.

img_7342I enjoyed the quiet solitude as I walked along, listening to the chirping of the birds and feeling the cool fresh air on my face.

Path of the Gods Photo by Margie MiklasOccasionally  I would catch a whiff of mint or rosemary in the air and saw quite a few grape vines, most of which looked as if the harvest was already over.

Path of the Gods Photo by Margie MiklasI was on my own but every once in a while a group of serious hikers would pass me; some were Italian, others were German, and one group was from France.

Path of the Gods photo BY Margie MiklasAn American named Sarah was part of the French group and she graciously offered to take my photo at one of the best views, the place where you can choose to continue toward Nocelle and Positano, or toward Praiano.

Path of the Gods photo by Margie MiklasIt was nice to talk to an American for a few minutes. Most of the other hikers I met that  day were European.

A sign along the way with the words, Benvenuti sul sentiero degli Dei, was a welcome sight and encouraged me to continue along. The little green Ape next to it made me smile.

Photo by Margie MiklasI found it more than a coincidence that while I came to Positano to write, many famous writers also fell in love with the Path of the Gods,and  one of them was D.H. Lawrence.  He wrote, “Is this the view that from on high along the Path of the Gods, opens to our sight: it is the picture of the great loop of the Amalfi coastline that looks towards the west, towards the Island of Capri, that precipitous coast, steamy, hot, with the crystalline mountains where the gods of today are forsaken and you find a lost self again. Mediterranean, before you.”

img_7346The yellow wildflowers and  the terraced vineyards balanced the rugged rocky walls seen along throughout this adventure.  In some areas where the path was not so clear, a small red and white marker painted on a rock or a piece of wood, showed the way.

The most challenging part for me was the rocky areas where I literally had to climb on my hands and knees to traverse the trail. Also the steep dirt path made it difficult to walk without my feet twisting and slipping. I think I almost lost my footing a dozen times and was saying Hail Marys the more I progressed, particularly near the end. I had decent shoes but not hiking boots which may have made a difference. I hate to admit it but I actually did take a fall at one point and scraped up my arm pretty good but nothing major.

dscn7579When I could see Positano below I realized how much I enjoyed this walk and took my time to savor the moment and shoot some photos.

positano-path-of-the-gods Photo by Margie MiklasThe 7.8 kilometer walk from Bomerano to Nocelle is supposed to take 3 hours and it took me 4 only because I enjoyed it and didn’t rush through. I took my time and would recommend everyone to do the same and be in the moment with nature.

img_6655I recognized the picnic table at a high point on the trail from a blog I had read, and decided to take a little break here and appreciate the natural beauty that surrounded me.

dscn7585

I could see as far as Capri and it was incredible.

dscn7577Truly this day was a highlight for me and I feel so good that I decided to take on the challenge. It was totally worth it!

I’d love to hear your from you, so please share your thoughts and leave a comment.

Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook and Instagram for more photos from Italy.

You may enjoy my hardback coffee table book featuring photos from the Amalfi Coast. Available on Amazon or directly from me  for the same price ($25) and no shipping if you’d like an autographed copy.

Colors of Naples and the Amalfi Coast by Margie MiklasGrazie  and Ciao

This entry was posted in Italy Travel, Italy Travel Planning, TRAVEL. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to My Adventure on the Path of the Gods

1. Congratulations – you must feel a real sense of accomplishment – plus, you have all these great photos to show for it!

2. Looked a lovely walk. The views in your photos are fabulous

3. Carrie Bellissimo says:

Margie,
    So glad to see you did this hike during your time there, My husband and I along with our 2 college aged sons walked the section between Praiano and Positano during our 4 days in Praiano last May. We found parts to be a challenge but so worth the time as it gives you such a different perspective of the otherwise touristy coast and rewards you with jaw dropping views. Bravo to you for doing it alone!

4. Wow…..just amazing views. And you are amazing for taking this on by yourself. But I imagine the time to reflect and take it all in, might be best done alone? So wonderful that you had this experience and breathtaking memories to cherish. Brava Margie!!

5. Barbara Palumbo says:

Margie, that was a wonderful story. You were very brave to consider that walk. It sounds quite difficult. What great memories you must have and I’m sure you are very happy you made that decision. Good for you.

I enjoyed the challenge and having hiked some of the Cinque Terre trails, I must say that this was even more difficult. The difference though is that I was in better shape, fitness-wise this trip. Thank you.

6. Debra Kolkka says:

I think this is the most beautiful area in Italy, and that is saying something.

7. Ishita says:

Wow wow wow. That is amazing!! Bravissima Margie! 🙂 Spectacular views ❤

8. Leisa says:

It is a beautiful place,so glad you decided to do it.

9. Anne Pflug says:

What an adventure!! I was in the Amalfi coast twice and never hears of this hike.

Anne

10. Tony says:

Wow, what amazing views! Great post and great job taking on the challenge!

11. Thank you for sharing! What an incredible adventure! Thank you for the photos, I feel as if I was there on the hike with you.

12. JAVINNO T. PURICELLI says:

Marg, you’ve truly brought tears to my eyes this morning Hon, as you stand there looking so acutely astute, with the back drop of the Amlfi Coast… capturing such Breathtaking views.

And furthermore, you being able to see Capri and Positano is an added treat, depending on which angle you view from at this height.

This is indeed and Extraordinary Experience Marg, that I’m glad that you’ve had the chance to explore from the Path of The GODS.

Marg as always Hon, you really do look Gorgeous indeed and I’m very Happy to see you having such a wonderful time..

grazie per la vista, che sono davvero mozzafiato!!

Ciao..

13. Lovely, lovely, Margie, your smile says it all. Bliss and beauty . . . perfect preparation for writing your romance novel. I took a couple similar walks near Portovenere on the Ligurian Coast in ’14, followed path with handmade signs pointing toward the Cinque Terre. A few small farms, goats, chickens, small vineyards. Could have walked all the way to Rapallo . . .

• Thank you Jack….I know you have experienced what I have by hiking i the Cinque Terre, another gorgeous place. Hope you books are doing well…What is the latest on the movie?
      By the way, my novel isn’t a romance novel; it’s a psychological thriller…Hopefully to be released this spring after the editing process.

14. Wonderful post, Margie! I hope you’ve recovered from your spill. I enjoyed hearing about the entire adventure and seeing your beautiful photos! Thank you for sharing.

15. Such a lovely post in so many ways, Margie. I’m so impressed with your stamina! Not sure if I’ll ever walk that path myself, so thank you for taking me there with you through this piece.

16. Thanks for sharing Margie and I applaud you for taking on the challenge! The views up there (and the fresh pressed citrus juice stands along the way) make it all worth it! Having just been on the path myself, it’s worth mentioning that near Nocelle the path is easier and even a few minutes along the trail you’re sure to have some incredible vistas. In other words, it’s still very attainable if you can’t walk the whole trail 🙂

17. Kelly says:

Hi Margie! I absolutely loved reading about your experience hiking the Path of the Gods. Italy + writing + hiking by the sea sounds like an absolute dream! I definitely want to do this hike next time I’m in Positano, but I’m sure it is probably going to trigger my fear of heights/vertigo! But there’s no better place to conquer my fears. 😉 Where did you start the hike? I saw a trailhead above Arienzo beach near where we stayed, but if I recall correctly, I heard that it’s better to take a bus to the main trailhead in Nocelle (I think)?

• Yes Kelly, that’s exactly what I did…only in reverse. I took the bus from Positano to Amalfi where I caught a bus to Agerola/Bomerano I took the bus to Bomerano/Agerola and hiked to Nocelle. From there I took the bus to Positano. I’d encourage you to do it. It’s an u forgettable experience! And yes, you will be facing your fear of heights and may even overcome that fear by doing this!!

18. Pingback: Our Positano Itinerary [Positano Series: Part 4] - Italian at Heart

19. bsteven2014 says:

I enjoyed reading your post. It really takes me back there. We have walked this path a few times in the last three years and will be back there again next month. It truly is one of my favourite hikes. We stay in Praiano and hike up there a few times during our stay. The whole area is breathtaking.