Street View in Bologna

A street scene in Italy…could actually be anywhere there, but this one is from Bologna.

Bologna photo by Margie MiklasI am fascinated by the buildings in Italy, the shuttered windows, the flower boxes with thriving plant life and colorful seasonal blooms. The balconies made of stone, the awnings perfectly positioned to shade the bright sun.

I find myself wondering about the residents who live here. How many families live here? Do they live on more than one floor?

And what about the business on the lowest level, not called the first floor in Italy, but instead, the piano terra , or ground floor. The floor above that is called the primo piano, or first floor. (In the U.S. we’d call that the second floor).

That business sign indicates Bottega Vini, or Wine Cellar. Do they sell wine there in bottles, or can you go inside and have a glass of wine? I guess I will have to return to Bologna and see for myself.

What are your thoughts? What else catches your eye in this photograph? I’d love to hear your feedback, so please leave a comment.

Grazie and ciao

For more photos of Italy and other places please visit my Instagram page.

This entry was posted in Italian lifestyle and culture, Italy Photo, Italy Travel Planning, Photography, TRAVEL and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Street View in Bologna

1. bonniegm says:

We adore Bologna!!!

2. lorigreer says:

Enchanting post…I love the photos.

3. Karen says:

After reading a bunch of Donna Leon books, I’m lately fascinated with Italy. Like France & Spain and most other countries in Europe, they value quality of life, like beautiful buildings and flower boxes and delicious food (and leisure time!) Thanks for sharing your lovely picture. ( :

Liked by 2 people

4. My first thoughts – it’s a nice looking building and someone in it likes plants!

Liked by 2 people

5. Annmarie says:

Margie, I too am fascinated with what lies behind doors and windows in Italy. The loving care shown on the outside entices me further to get to know the people indoors. And those lovely little balconies….a simple elegance perched high above the street. Irresistible.

Liked by 3 people

6. Italy is certainly the place for photographing windows and shutters. Bologna and the surrounding area is high on my list of places to visit!

Liked by 2 people

7. Margie, I’m always wondering who lives in those buildings, what they do, and even what it looks like inside. I’m glad to know you and others wonder the same things. Nice photo and post;)

Liked by 2 people

8. I just love this kind of picture. I didn’t spend near enough time looking up on my first trip to Italy. So many things that I didn’t do that have to be done – first trip is just so overwhelming and I feel I missed so much. But I see love in a building like this as well as serenity. The love it takes to nurture and I can’t imagine anything more peaceful than standing or sitting on a small balcony such as this with an espresso in hand just watching life below me. A la dolce vita to be sure! Thanks for sharing Margie.

Liked by 2 people

• Rae, I know you’ll be back in Italy soon and you will be ableto take the time and just look around and enjoy la Dolce Vita! Thanks much for taking time here leave a comment and your perspective.

9. Victoria says:

I used to love sitting on my balcony in Barcelona, watching the people walk around below. I always wondered who they were and what their lives were like. Thanks for sharing this beautiful picture of Bologna’s balconies! It definitely transports me back…

Liked by 2 people

10. I imagine there are plenty of boiling pots of pasta inside being tended to by loving nonne! Beautiful photo, a truly Italian image.

Liked by 2 people

11. livedinitaly says:

Noi ci saremo presto.

12. Gene Hull says:

Lovely. So peaceful. I want some. Thanks, Gene

Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 04:31:02 +0000 To: genehull@msn.com

In my youth, Miami had several old folks hotels in the down town area. Because women did not work outside the home, they were masters of the inner space, including balconies and fire escapes. Because my Great Grandmother lived in one of these my sister and I were tolerated in the back alleys of these places. Everyone hung out their laundry which they did in small sinks. Some unspoken rule meant it all came off those high, high clothes lines by 4pm. There were flowers in pots up and down the fire escapes, especially the landings. If the fire department showed up they were told the location was just temporary so that they could get a little sunshine, haha. Nobody was fooled but the flowers stayed and there were no fires either.

Italy sounds to me a lot like the earlier days of this country.

Liked by 3 people

• Thanks Bonnie. I always love your stories from your past experiences and you’re right. They do seem to be some similarities between the old days in Miami and what it’s like today in Italy. Thank you

14. Karen says:

I’m with you — I always wonder about the people who live behind those windows. Are they happy? What are their dreams? What did they have for lunch? (My questions about these unknown friends are endless.) Lovely post. Thanks!

15. Tony says:

Honestly, when I see an image like that I am reminded of my time spent in Italy, how brief it was and how it changed me forever. That photo epitomizes the Italian, European lifestyle that I miss and would like to live someday.

Liked by 3 people

16. Very lovely photo. I have never been to Bologna, but know the city has the nickname “the fat one” because of all the delicious, rich food! And of course, now I realize it is beautiful, like all other Italian cities.

Liked by 2 people

17. I like this – the plants hanging down from the flower boxes are really growing, aren’t they? People in my American neighborhood wouldn’t let them get so long – we’re so used to chopping things short!

On another note, I received your beautiful book about Naples and the Amalfi coast this week. It’s on our coffee table for all to see! Thank you!

Liked by 2 people

18. Anonymous says:

I spent 18 days in Italy in April, and 4 nights in Bologna. It is a pretty city, and my first reaction when seeing your picture was : the house is *white*. Not red. I think I have seen all tones of red and terracotta, but no white. Nice picture!
    Line

P.S.: On a previous post I was mentionning that I was going to visit Orvieto. It is one of the prettiest and calmest city I have ever visited. The world capital of the movement “Città Slow” is well named. It was a very nice and relaxing part of my vacations. Also, in Toscana, my penpal – room lender came to pick me up in Siena and on our way to Colle Val D’Elsa I mentionned your blog and the remarks you had made about Monteriggioni, and he made the detour!! Lovely 😍

19. enirofral says:

That was me, Line (known as Lina in Italy!!) posting just before 🙂

20. Vino Travels says:

I agree Margie. The streets are so charming and I love when the elderly are hanging outside the windows as well overlooking the streets. La dolce vita!

21. Gloria Walsh says:

Part of my relaxing Mother’s Day was spent reading and looking through some of the gorgeous pictures of Margie Miklas’s book Colors of Naples and the Amalfi Coast. Thank you Margie it’s awesome!

22. Another wonderful photo Margie. Like the Italians, Australians call the ground floor the ground floor, lol.

23. Archana says:

Visiting Italy for the first time this summer! I am so happy to have found your beautiful blog!