Tuscany – Popular Italy Destination

When I think of Tuscany I think of an image like this. Rolling hills, the countryside, and  tall dark green cypress trees. One of the most popular destinations in Italy, Tuscany is of course,  much more.

Tuscany Photo by Margie Miklas

Tuscany is made up of ten provinces, including Florence, Arezzo, Grosseto, Livorno, Lucca, Massa Carrara, Pisa, Pistoia, Prato and Siena. Culture, architecture, wines, food, art, and beaches, are just a few  reasons Tuscany is on top of so many travelers’ wish lists.

To capture scenes like this you really need a car, so you can leisurely drive through the countryside and stop whenever you want to and admire the scenery and shoot as many photos as you wish on your own timetable.  You just cannot achieve photographic scenes like this from a moving train.

I have always booked rental cars in Italy through Auto Europe and would recommend them. They have been doing this for over sixty years and they guarantee your reservation.

Have you driven through Tuscany? Or traveled strictly on public transportation? I’m interested in your feedback. Please leave a comment.

Ciao and Grazie

By the way if you haven’t been to my Facebook Author page, please stop by and Like it. Lots going on there.

This entry was posted in Italy Travel, Italy Travel Planning, Photography, TRAVEL and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Tuscany – Popular Italy Destination

1. hometoitaly says:

I attempt to visit new towns/cities on each trip Home to Italy but I only take the train. A terrible bus experience left me with a strong reluctance to the bus. Of course you cant go everywhere via train. But I found an old book on ‘travel in Italy by Train’ and am trying to update chapters on each visit.

2. Paula says:

I always envy travellers to Italy who can see all the wonderful small towns by hiring a car. Unfortunately because here in Australia we drive on the other side of the road I would not be confident to do so. I try to research as many small cities to stay from which you can then take day trips to the tinier villages by bus, train or even a local tour. Of course one can always join the wonderful Victoria from Postcardz from Victoria in order to visit many of those more remote destinations. I did however join a wonderful cinque cento driving day tour around the hills behnd Florence which was lots of fun, but I was following a car in front. It gave me a small taste of driving in Italy.

3. Tony says:

I didn’t drive through Tuscany with a car, but I did through Umbria and it was just as beautiful, with many scenes just like picture you have posted. Umbria definitely is the “green heart” of Italy!

4. Francis says:

We have a cinquecento 1967 vintage to drive around. It’s really fun to drive. Trains too are great when you work out your journey on the trenitalia site. They are also much cheaper than trains in the UK.

Liked by 2 people

Wonderful photo eye Margie, just beautiful. . .

6. bonniegm says:

We have rented a car during each of our 15 trips. My husband loves to drive in Italy and I am the copilot with the map on my lap. We don’t use a GPS, don’t trust them. LOL! Have driven from one end of Italy to the other and also east to west a number of times. Stopping at an Autogrill is always a must! We also travel by train, Eurostar, Regionali, Freccia Rossa and by autobus.

7. AmberNoora says:

Beautiful Pic. At what time of the day you shot this?

8. Margie, after reading “My Love Affair with Sicily,” I thought to myself – you are so brave to drive in Italy! But I have to agree that is probably the best way to see Tuscany and also Abruzzo. There are so many wonderful little towns hidden among the mountains! I like your recommendation of Auto Europe, and I have written a bit about the benefits of this company in a recent blog “Renting a car and driving in Italy”: http://blog.learntravelitalian.com/2016/01/18/renting-car-driving-italy/ To all Italian travelers: Buon viaggio!

9. That is exactly how I always imagine Tuscany!

10. Its next to impossible to see all of Toscana or any other region without a car…the exception would be train/bike.

11. karenincalabria says:

Beautiful photo! As several other commenters have mentioned, I find driving in Italy daunting, so I do public transportation unless I have a friend who has a car. Most of my time in Tuscany has been in language schools (Florence and Lucca) – quite a few years ago. I took advantage of school excursions that usually used public transportation (bus and train) and I used the system on my own as well, with varying degrees of success (and frustration). I found that it was best to just assume something wasn’t going to work out and then just go with it, whatever happened…
    I’ve also used Auto Europe on several occasions, letting my traveling companion take the driver’s seat, and have been happy with the service.

12. Chris says:

Hi Margie and others…I’m trying to put together a 14 day driving itinerary out of Venice with no goal and deadlines other than to visit smaller towns. After a week in Venice May 9-14 we will rent a car and go exploring. We want to go west to north of Milan and then south towards Tuscany. We like to stay 2 nights in 1 town then move on to another. Not in a hurry, not on a budget, love to sightsee by car. Any thoughts appreciated even just general ideas and/or suggestions.
    Chris in Alabama

• Thank you Chris – Sounds like a great trip – although moving every 2 days can be a bit tiresome..I’d suggest Lake Como and Bergamo..also Carrara and Pistoia in Tuscany..so many places ad so little time. Isn’t that always the dilemma? Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. Buon viaggio!!

13. Allan L says:

I have never been to Tuscany, but it’s on my list.