Countdown to Italy

Of course it’s no surprise to anyone who knows me or is a follower of this blog, that I am always looking for opportunities to return to Italy. The time is fast approaching when I will be leaving for Bella Italia, and I am psyched about it.

I am not traveling solo this time; instead, my very good friend Patty is my traveling companion, and this is her first trip to Italy! I am changing it up a bit and the first stop is Venice, followed by a cruise to the Greek Isles, and then back to Italia. More on that later. For now, enjoy a few photos from previous trips to La Serenissima.

Gondolas in Venice - Photo by Margie Miklas

Gondolas in Venice

Venice, Italy ~ photo by Margie Miklas

Venice, Italy

Venice gondolier taking a smoke break

Venice gondolier taking a smoke break

Feeding pigeons in St Mark's Square - Venice

Feeding pigeons in St Mark’s Square

Venice

Venice

I’d love to hear your feedback. Please leave a comment.

This entry was posted in Italian lifestyle and culture, Italy Photo, Italy Travel, Italy Travel Planning, Photography, TRAVEL and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Countdown to Italy

1. Jim Hammond says:

Margie, sound cool. Cruising the Greek Isles is a trip of a life time. We did this cruise leaving from Venice to Athens on Crystal in 2005. I can’t wait to see the pictures. Best of luck… Jim-

2. dollygoolsby says:

Aah….Beautiful Venice. it must be exciting for you to have the opportunity to introduce a friend to this magnificent country of Italy. Buon viaggio. I will savor every word that you write about your adventures.

3. I’m finally getting a chance to return to Italy next month. I’ll be in Tuscany and then a few days in Rome — first time on both counts and I’m totally excited. I think it would be so wonderful to introduce a friends or family members to Italy and see the perpetual smiles on their faces.

• Thank you Cathy! And you are right about the excitement to introduce someone to Bella Italia! I am thrilled that you are able to return to Italy.Enjoy your time in beautiful Toscana and Roma!

4. Florence says:

Beautiful pictures Margie. There is no beauty like that of Italy. Through your pictures or your words, you always take me on a journey back.
    I hope for you nothing but the most wonderful, awe inspiring vacation/cruise my friend.

Ciao

5. I thought feeding pigeons in Venice is now illegal?

• You are right, Andrew, but the rule is difficult to enforce, and it has not stopped tourists from doing so. Each time I am there, I see it happening, although perhaps not as much. Thanks so much for leaving a comment, my friend. I always enjoy your photography!

6. Nicole says:

My husband and I will have our first trip to Europe this year without going to Venice. We’ve been over four times and I sneak Venice in every time. But I can’t come up with a good reason to go while in the south of France…lol. Just too far away to be convenient. Ah well, I will get back (carnival is on my bucket list).

• Ciao Nicole, I can identify because there never seems to be enough time to do it all. The south of France is so lovely as well. I visited there for the first time a few years ago and loved it! Grazie for commenting. Buon viaggio!

7. ishitasood says:

See u in Italy bella.. Can’t wait to visit 😀 and meet u in #Venice.. Lovely pictures btw!

8. Love it! You make me want to go! I’m curious if you have ever run into a type of eatery called the frasca — in which vintners sell their own wine and advertize by hanging a branch over the door.

9. Hi Ann Marie, I personally have not seen this, but I am sure they are there, especially in the Friuli region in northeaster Italy.Is this what you mean? http://lafrasca.ca/

Thank you for checking out my blog and taking time to comment!

I have often thought you missed your calling. You were very good to your patients, smart and capable but still . . .You simply have quite the “eye” for photography. I love all the pics. I think the first one drew me the most. Yes the gondolas, so much history in such well known articles of modern life.

11. David Savoca says:

Sounds wonderful. We’re going to Mykonos this summer, via Milano. Looking forward to it!

12. stephanie710 says:

Beautiful as always, Margie. Can’t wait for the new book and reports on your next adventure. 🙂

13. Hi, Margie, nice to meet you. Lovely pictures. Thanks for visiting my blog and for liking one of my posts! Blessings, Natalie 🙂

14. Tamela Robinson says:

I want to go to Italy with you again! I’ll have to be available off season AND I’m supposed to retire in 4+ years…that will go very fast! This summer I am going to Portugal AND hiking the Coast to Coast in England. (and then I will be poor and have to save my money again.)
    Never-the-less, thinking of you.
    xxoo,
    Tammy

15. Diana says:

Ohhhhh…Greece too??!!? Fabulous! Keep me posted on your plans…..

16. Jackie Byrdsong says:

Very nice, Margie! Have fun and keep posting those lovely pictures.

17. Lyn says:

I do understand your excitement and your happiness. How wonderful

18. Jack Erickson says:

Always love your photos, Margie, always alluring . . . and they tell a story.
    Off to Milano in a few weeks, hope we can connect this summer. I’ll be
    traveling the last week in June, Lago Garda one place I’ve never been
    in northern Italy.
    Any chance you’ll be near Milano? Making progress on sequel to
    “Thirteen Days.” Booked up on research, visiting locations, and