Italian Salaries Among the Lowest in Europe

Trevi Fountain

Trevi Fountain

Italy is not a place to get rich quick, in terms of salary. Although their socialistic government compensates workers with pensions and health care as well as their form of unemployment, the average salaries in Italy are among the lowest in Europe.

Local butchers in Termini

Local butchers in Termini

According to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, the average salary for an unmarried worker without any dependents is not much more than $25000 a year, based on 2012 statistics.Only Greece and Portugal have salaries less than those in Italy. This number is calculated after taxes, making a gross average salary slightly higher than $35,000.

Piazza Navona

Piazza Navona

From what I have been told by my Italian friends, there are basically two levels of salary, and not much in between. Some jobs have options to work overtime, such as police officers. Others are seasonal and the job is only for six or eight months, with the rest of the year subsidized by the Italian government.

Police officers in Italy

Police officers in Italy

I would love to know what the salaries for nurses are, but I do understand that nurses in Italy do not enjoy the status of professional, as they do in the United States, and I am sure the salary is commensurate with that role. As much as I love Italy, some things are not better there, which is why I enjoy visiting but will always want to live in the U.S.

A church in Catania decorated for a wedding

A church in Catania decorated for a wedding

This entry was posted in Italian lifestyle and culture, Italy News, Italy Travel, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Italian Salaries Among the Lowest in Europe

1. Yikes. I wonder how the cost of living is…I’m sure it’s high in Rome and Milan.

2. And, let’s not forget the 40-45% payroll tax each “dependent” worker has to pay out monthly. I don’t know how they can survive paycheck to paycheck, but somehow they do. Living at home with the ‘rents until you’re about 40 helps.

3. On the opposite end, members of the lower and upper houses of government are the highest paid politicos around Europe.

4. Debra Kolkka says:

I don’t know how many people live on what they earn here. Many don’t have to buy a house or pay rent as families live together and houses are inherited. The cost of living is a lot lower than it is in Australia. Food is considerably cheaper, but petrol is expensive and heating costs are high.
    I see many underemployed people in the village and wonder how they get by.

5. We would love to spend more time in Italy and have always had a dream of living there or even another country close to Italy but reality soon kicks in.

6. Francesco says:

I’m italian and the quality of our lives here is very bad. People under 35 yo cannot find any kind of job; I have 2 master degrees but I’m unemployed, my wife is unemployed too (she has 2 master degrees as well) and we have a 1-yo son…the government doesn’t help anybody, but people who working in the parliament think always and only about their own business. We’d like to move to other countries, much more democratic and meritocratic as Sweden or Denmark.

God help us.

• Grazie mille for leaving a comment on my blog. I really appreciate your perspective as an educated Italian living the reality of not being able to obtain a job. I realize that the situation is bad for those living there and I feel badly about it. I have friends who are Italians and are also unemployed and they have exposed the corruption to me.

I hope the best for you and can understand why you would want to leave Italy to see a better future. I am sure the situation must have been similar when my grandparents decided to move to America in the early 1900’s.

• Angela says:

Francesco come ti capisco
      anche io vorrei andare via ma non saprei da dove cominciare, poi non ho lauree o qualifiche elevate.

Auguro a te e alla tua famiglia di andare via e trovare un posto dove poter sfruttare le vostre capacità e vivere dignitosamente.

Angela (un’amica di Margie)

• Grazie mia amica, Angela. I appreciate the comment also from your unique perspective as an Italian who has had to struggle to find a job every year. Thank you for taking time to read my blog and post this comment for Francesco and my other readers. It gives us a better understanding of the dark side of Italy.

• dozie sixtus says:

francesco am sorry for your present condition. if you consider moving out of italy i will recommend NIGERIA, when you move to nigeria you can find a job, or even start your own business. with €100000 you will live like a king

7. Anonymous says:

Corruption is everywhere! The USA..is no different but probably worse. At least in Italy the food is good.

8. Ali Azman says:

Hello how are you everyone. My name is ali azman I’m from Bangladesh i was looking for job and still I’m looking for a waiter job I need help from all of you please please try to find out waiter job in Italy I’m happy to work there by low salary please help me
    Ali Azman