Milano

20110513-024318.jpg

Thursday May 12

I arrived at Milano Centrale at 9:30 am and met my friend Angela there. We had not seen each other since January of last year, when she went back to Italy after spending three months with me in the U.S.
20110513-032105.jpg
It was great to see each other again and we immediately got on the Metro to see some of Milano. Coming up the steps of the Metro at the Duomo stop, I could not believe the sight in front of me. The Duomo was right there, this huge Gothic cathedral, and seeing it for the first time took my breath away!

20110513-024135.jpg
I always thought the Duomo in Florence was an incredible sight, but I think this is even more spectacular. It can hold 40,000 people and is one of the largest cathedrals in the world. The Duomo in Milano is the only Gothic cathedral in Italy, and construction took over 500 years, with renovations always continuing. It truly is an amazing sight!

20110513-024715.jpg
Angela showed me the beautiful Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, explaining that at Christmas, it is lit up and very beautiful. It is full of shops and a beautiful place to walk and browse.

20110513-024920.jpg
In the center on the floor is a painting of an ox, and there is a hole in the floor where his genitals should be. The hole was created from people stepping in this area and twirling around, believing that this will bring good luck. Of course at Angela’s urging, I had to try it too.

20110513-025217.jpg
We walked over to Teatro alla Scala, the famous opera venue, La Scala, which is over 200 years old. How could any of us forget that scene from Monstruck when Cher and Nicholas Cage met each other at the opera at the Met in NYC?

20110513-025530.jpg
La Scala

We had lunch on the top floor at La Rinascente and the views were great as well as the panini. More browsing around and a friend of Angela’s met up with us and we continued on to Castello Sforzesco, built in the 1300’s and onto Parco Sempione for a much needed break in the shade. The temperature reached 82 degrees here today and we were feeling it.

20110513-030434.jpg

20110513-030523.jpg
We took the Metro back to the station so Angela could go back to Arenzano and I went back to my hotel.

20110513-030816.jpg
I spent the evening in the hotel lobby with some Canadians, some Americans, some New Zealanders, and some travelers from England, and we all spoke English comparing notes as to our various itineraries. I didn’t need dinner as we were partaking of “un aperitivo” with drinks and various appetizers provided by Massimiliano. It was a great way to unwind after a day in the city. Milano reminds me of New York a little, and I loved it.

20110513-031254.jpg
Tomorrow morning I will be going to Malpensa airport to meet my brother and sister-in-law, who are arriving. We will be traveling together for the next two and a half weeks, so I am excited to have some company!

This entry was posted in Italy Travel and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Milano

1. Joe says:

Milano…another stop I need to add to my wish list! Looks like you are having a blast!!!

2. Bonnie D. says:

Best pictures of all, the Cathedral took my breath away & as always I do love the arch ways and the food discussion. The addition of friends adds another dimension and I am looking forward to your family joining the parade! I did have to laugh at that hot day at 82. You better stay gone until December. It is already in the 90’s here and won’t cool off until the rains come (3rd week of June, any rain before that is simply a bonanza). If you do get a cool morning have a nice rich expresso for me. I do so love the coffee bean.

3. Jill says:

Margie, Milano looks incredible… Duamo ~ WOW! I can see how it has all taken your breath away… How wonderful for you to meet up with Angela again. Meeting up with your family will be a ball! enjoy that extra good luck 😉

4. Lori Samarin says:

I am glad to hear that you love Milano, Margie. Too often I hear individuals say that they did not like it, and see it as a grey city, all cement, etc..I have two cousins who live there, and I worked there when I was modeling as a young lady. I must say that I have very fond memories of this exquisite city, Italy’s industrial capital par excellence! There is a song that was very popular in the mid 60’s, first sung by Ornella Vanoni, but rendition of which was only and uniquely sung to perfection by the great, great, great MINA (Italy’s Barbara Streisand). That song is called” Innamorarsi a Milano” “Falling in love in Milan”. Here are the words and translation:

Sapessi

tu mi hai detto
    ti amo
    io ti ho detto
    ti amo
    (ritornello)

Translation:
    If you knew how strange it is to feel in love in Milan; without flowers, without greenery,without sky, without anything, amongst people, so many people

If you knew how strange it is to set up dates in Milan, in a large department store, in the plaza or in the gallery; what folly

However, in this impossible place you told me ” I love you” and I told you ” I love you”.
    (refrain)

5. Tamela says:

This makes me excited to go to Milano. Please send me a note and tell me the name of your hotel, since I haven’t planned mine yet.
    Thanks to Lori for the song and, of course, I had to hear Mina sing it at : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iITeQ4Cg_e4

• Lori Samarin says:

The video is great; unfortunately the song is sung by Ornella Vanoni who does not do this song justice, as her voice is flat and lacks emotion as far as I am concerned. I am hoping someone can post the version by MINA; the difference is like night and day.

6. Pingback: Architecture of Italy | margieinitaly